Classes of hosting services
A hosting service involves stockpiling and/or sharing particular web content on a hosting server run by a web hosting provider. There are various categories of hosting services used for different aims, so let's have a look at these. In that way, you can choose what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to set up a weblog, e-mail addresses, or to share files with chums and associates.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by certain hosts, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions are frequently supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to await a certain interval of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely twisted explanation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would divide the load between different groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending miscellaneous web hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share a big quantity of pics with buddies or partners since the service is typically free. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to administering your email address accounts. Some companies offer hosting services for websites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you would like to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can set up mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have a problem with your web site hosting quotas. Embedding the video will enable you to possess as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to own a site. To a certain extent, it consists of all of the aforementioned hosting kinds since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can observe web hosting and dedicated web hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse compared to the standard email/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for specific content only.